SimianExist

31 January, 2008

A mountain of paper...

... and bills.

First of all, I'd just like to remark on the fact that since I've moved abroad, everytime I open Blogger I have a random language assigned to it. I think its because there are 3 languages used officially here in Switzerland, so everytime I connect, depending on the internet connection thingy I get a randomly assigned language of Italian, French and German. The former 2 I can deal with, but the latter...??

Anyway, one of the tasks that I have set myself this week is to buy some folders and start organising the mammoth pile of paperwork that is starting to accumulate. So far this is the list of folders I need:

- Apartment: Lease contract, bills, repairs, contacts
- Apartment: Furniture receipts, electronics receipts and warantees
- Apartment: Standing orders and general payments
- Car: Documents
- Personal: Marmoset's official Swiss papers, work contract, misc
- Personal: OH's papers, as above
- Misc: Official documentation

One of the things that really amazes me is the amount of documentations and paper that is involved in any process. For example when we went to apply for an apartment this is what we required:

- Passports: Marmoset and OH
- Work permits: Marmosest and OH
- 3 months salary slips: Marmoset and OH
- Work contract: Marmoset and OH
- Ceritficate of Credit Worthiness: OH (Because I haven't been here long enough)
- Reference: Marmoset and OH
- Certificates of Swiss Residence: Marmoset and OH

It takes a while to get these documents together, and once I cottoned on to the fact that apartments here go like wildfire, I prepared multiple copies of the dossier and as soon as I'd stepped into any potential apartment, I'd have shoved this half a ton compilation upon the poor representative, exclaiming my desire in wanting the apartment then and there.

So, after having settled into the new apartment, Phase II of moving is in action. I'm getting all my stuff shipped over from London, and this is the list of paperwork I have had to prepare just to get some old books and clothes across the border:

- Passport (copy of first three pages)
- Residence Permit or "Zusicherung Aufenthaltsbewilligung"
- Lease or Property Title of Residence in Switzerland
- Inventory (detailed) in English, German, French, or Italian, dated and signed by the customer(three copies) showing:
>Full contents of this and any other shipments planned
>Appliances, giving make and serial number
- Customs Import Form 18.44 (in duplicate and signed by Customer) and a list of alcoholic beverages needs to be completed upon arrival in Switzerland
- Returning Nationals require an Attestation of Residence issued by the local authorities
- Foreigners require a Work and Residence Permit issued by the local authorities
- Inventory for all shipments must be submitted with first shipment!
- Swiss: "Schriftenempfangsschein" (receipt for depositing papers at the Town Hall)
- Form "Erklarung/Abfertigungsantrag fur Libersiedlungsgur" (owners' declaration of personal household goods)

I'm asking myself at this stage, is it really worth all that hassle? At least I don't have a car or I would require:

- Passport
- Work Permit
- Title
- Purchase invoice
- Form 18.44
- Proof of Residence
- Valid Driver's License
- Foreign Registration Card
- Car license from previous country
- Household goods inventory
- Swiss Insurance Receipt

How I have time to work as well as get the admin done is beyond me. Also, now that OH and I have a joint account, we were presented with our 'pack' that came through the post. That's another mountain of paperwork, with different colour coded paying in slips as well as instruction forms which once I figure out how to use them I will post another blog here.

Simian here is struggling to exist with all the frigging paperwork.

NB. I have forgotten that the cable that connects my camera to the pooter is in transit. Once it arrives I'll upload the pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home