SimianExist

27 June, 2006

Taste Of The Orient...

... and of cheapness...

Dazzling diamonds we out on display the other day when I sauntered into Selfridges. There was a sale going on and there were throngs of people milling about and pushing past each other in an eager attempt to grab at the bargins that will be displayed for approximately 2.6 minutes before it hangs in the wardrobe for the rest of eternity.

I was in a bit of a mood that day. Prior to the beginning of our shopping sojourn OH took me for lunch at this lovely Middle Eastern tavern around the corner. Feeling slightly delicate from the night before, we opted to stay off the wine and just stick to the water. On the other table there was a burly man who was with two women who he was clearly trying to impress.

'Soave, please' he instructed the waiter, but pronounced it in an accent littered with pretention so it came out more 'Soh-ah-vey, puh-lease...'

The waiter flounced off and OH and I resumed our starters which had arrived. I had whitebait and OH had stuffed vine-leaves. While we munched, the waiter flounced back with a bottle of wine cradled in his arm. With a flourish, he presented the bottle to the man, who gave it a cursory glance and a curt nod. The waiter then proceeded to open it and pour a bit into the man's glass, and while he did so, I caght a glimpse of the label and gave OH a nudge.

The man raised his glass, and swirled it round like a true ignoramus, took a gulp and proclaimed it lovely. By this stage I was trying my hardest not to snort whitebait through my nostrils. OH was getting quite perturbed and asked me what the matter was. After I'd managed to calm down I explained to OH that the bottle of wine that was proclaimed 'lovely' was in fact the sort of wine that we used to drink all the time.

That came from Costcutters. And they were 2 bottles for £5.

And the restaurant was selling them at £12.95 per bottle, to this ignoramus who was guzzling it with Great Gusto.

The great big Galah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home