SimianExist

01 April, 2006

Out Of The Loop...

... for such a long time that I've forgotten the etiquette when being in a Gay Bar.

Thursday night found me in a usual state of ditzyness, having briefly read the text message that Mr Notting Hill Friend had sent in relation to South African Tart's birthday suprise. Having had a decent run at doing some work, I was all fired up and my head was more than a little bit fuzzy so I turned up at the bar at the arranged time and proceeded to look for the surprise party.

This is a bar in Soho, with a number of floors to its name and gets extremely packed. It's not one that I would normally go to, given the clientele is not necessarily my cup of tea and I was surprised that Mr NH suggested that place. So I walked up and tried to look for them but no one was there apart from some newly lusted up couples having a pre-coital cocktail or two that just gave me dirty looks when I peered around trying to locate the par-tay...

First floor: no one I recognise.

Second floor: no one I recognise...

Third floor: still no one I recognise... By this time I'm starting to panic, thinking that I've got (a) the wrong date, or (b) the wrong time... So I reach for the trusty mobile and open Mr NH's text.

So the plan is to meet at Bar BlahBlah at 8.30....

I look at the bar name again, and look above the bar counter that I'm stood at. Wrong names. They don't match...

Bugger. I've got 10 minutes to run to the other side of Soho. Pick up phone and call Other Half.

Me: *pant pant pant* Wrong bar, its Bar BlahBlah instead...

OH: *grumble grumble*

Arrive at bar, just in time before SA Tart arrives for his surprise. Look around and lots of people I haven't seen for a while. Air kisses and 'dah-ling, long time no see' done, I look around at people milling comfortably with lounge techno pumping from the speakers.

And there I am, clutching my beer awkwardly, suddenly realising that I've forgotten how to lounge around louchely. I'm racking my brains trying to think of the First Gay Rule of How To Behave in a bar... Then I remember...

Pout.

And suddenly the world seems much friendlier, and I even get my picture taken with the Nigerian Princess for Soho's Party People website...

So glam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home