SimianExist

21 March, 2006

And Let The Voting...

...Begin.

Sunday a.m., Small Flatmate lounging on my bed, we're doing the Flatmate Cry (actually its only between the two of us, as we're mental enough to make noises like Squaking Chickens or Strangled Kittens) and generally minding our own business when the doorbell goes.

Normally I'd answer the door, but my phone rang at that very moment and I was about to hop in the shower so I had a towel around my waist over my birthday suit, so Small Flatmate went to investigate.

Now, I can see the front door from my room, albeit a bit of an angle off, and I see a jolly old man with windswept hair and a tweed jacket on holding a clipboard. Small Flatmate looks bewildered and I'm gabbling away with my mum a trillion miles away.

Anyway, manage to shake Mother Dearest off by telling her I was semi-naked and there was a strange man at the door. Just as I ended the call Small Flatmate yells for me. I stumble out, towel around me and smile brightly at the old man who I now see is sporting a Jolly Big Yellow Rosette. I'm thinking if perhaps he's come third in the Local Best Grandad Competition (bit blind without the old speccies, you see) and he blanches, his Jolly Smile now becoming a Jolly Frozen Smile and I'm starting to feel the chilly wind circulating through the flat.

It was a Lib Dem representative and he kept his eyes firmly fixed on my face as I tried to secure the now errant towel around me. Asked me a few questions and if I was going to vote LD, and as a friend is very involved with the LD's, and as my towel is slipping further down, I say yes.

Jolly Grandad looks Jolly Happy and asks me my name.

Here it is: German Flatmate has a Very German Name, Small Flatmate has a Very English Name, and Big Flatmate has a Very Asian Name. And I've got a run of the mill Monkey name. He asks me if I am German Flatmate, to which I say no, and then so and and so forth until he gets to my name, and I say yes. And then he asks me if I am Big Flatmate, to which I say 'no' again.

Finally gets my name right, my towel is saved, I am saved, his embarrassment is saved.

Then Big Flatmate goes through the same rigmarole, although Big Flatmate is fully clothed. But Big Flatmate has never voted before and this would be his first time, and Jolly Grandad turns out to be Jolly Deaf as well, and to compound matters further, Big Flatmate mumbles.

And so, I have my shower, come out, get dressed, and go to the Kitchen. Big Flatmate is still at the door.

Small Flatmate and I have a scheduled cigarette and a bit of a giggle.

*Flatmate Cry*

That signals the end of Jolly Time and back to doing the Not-So-Jolly Dissertation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home