SimianExist

23 February, 2006

I've Been So...

... excited.

Over the last few weeks I've made surprises for Other Half's birthday that will all begin this evening. I've longed to blog about it but have been very careful not to or surprise might be ruined. Anyway, I figured that since he can't surf the web at work anymore its not too much of an issue, so I'll let you in on the secret: its going to be a Surprise!

This weekend we're going on a Secret Destination trip. Over the last weeks Other Half has been pestering me on our destination, dropping in comments like 'I have a vague idea' and generally pissing me off in his eagerness to ruin the surprise. I on the other hand have been bubbling away with pent up excitement that I've had to control myself dreadfully in case I let the proverbial Siamese Cat out of the Gucci Handbag.

The other night we had a power cut. It was an extremely bizzare experience, with only our block affected. The shop downstairs that spans two blocks was half in darkness and half in light. After the lights went out so suddenly, we decided to abandon our grand plan of Working All Night after Big Flatmate decided to jump ship for his friend's flat where he said he was going to 'study'... Small Flatmate and I dispensed of all pretenses and went straight for the wine.

Before that however, I had to endure an absolute debacle over who our electricity provider was. On our studenty Pay-As-You-Go meter with the little electronic key, the balance screen was blank, indicating that it wasn't our fault. So as on the meter it said London Electricity, I rang them up. Now, the most annoying thing, ever is to be put on hold and told that you are crawling up a queue that loops around and around. The even more annoying thing is the muzak that they have tinkling away in the background while smugly announcing that you have Moved Higher in the queue but It Still Isn't Your Turn Yet.

However, the most, the absolutely most annoying thing was the announcement that the banal voice made. Instead of being busy, the Customer Service Agents were Extremely Busy. And I was reminded again and again by the recorded unfriendly annoying voice accusing me of ringing them at 8pm and that their only solace was in telling me that it was Not My Turn and they were VERY VERY EXTREMELY BUSY.

Anyway, I'm ranting. After what seemed like an eternity in darkeness a Northern voice came on the line and after taking my details promptly announced with barely disguised glee that London Electricity only provided the meter and that the electricity was provided by a completely different holding. After giving me a number to ring the phone was slammed down on me.

So I rang the other number that had about a million options and every one I selected returned the same result, telling me that the services were only available from 8am to 8pm and could I please ring back tomorrow when they would be pleased to assist me with my query. Query? What fucking query? I wanted to complain, not ask politely where my sodding electricity had gone. After what seemed like an eon and at risk of developing RSI with the constant jabbing of the redial button and selecting option 9,873,324, A very nice sympathetic lady came on the line and told me what the problem was. Apparently we're on a parallel line with the tube station and that the station had blown a fuse and it had affected all dwellings on that parallel line. As she was logging my complaint I moaned to her about how my dinner of grilled pork chops was half done in the electric oven and how I'd starve that evening. She made the appropriate tut-tutting noises and 5 minutes later I got off the phone and felt quite pacified.

Later on while I was rescuing my half grilled dinner and decided to fry on the gas stove by candlelight, Other Half rang.

OH: How are you?

Me: I am EXTREMELY busy trying to rescue my dinner by candlelight. Goodbye.

I don't think he saw the funny side of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home