SimianExist

08 February, 2008

And Now For My Next Post...

... I'm going to have a bit of a rant.

This is technically my 100th post, so pop the cork and leave the bottle on ice while I take to the soapbox and have a bit of a moan about the sheer ignoramity of a very large percentage of human beings out there in the world. It may not be the most coherent piece of writing but I need to get it off my chest before I scream, and my boss wonders what the hell I'm doing.

The Times today has an article about how zebrafish have been engineered to allow scientists to watch how cancers develop and behave inside the body in real time. It goes on to state that these fish were chosen for their strong genetic similarities to human beings. It is but a short article, telling us of the advances that have led to this being possible. Now let me first take my stance.

Those of you who know me will know that I previously read neurosciences as my subject at university. While in the course of research and experimentation, I have come across many species being used to understand lots of functions, thereby improving and hopefully even finding a cure for otherwise fatal and horrid diseases that take place in the human body. One of these species used is the zebrafish. Now, I am no ichthyologist, but from what I have learnt is that zebrafish live for 5 years, are the size of a paperclip, and their brains are the size of a pin head. Another thing that I have learnt is that pain pathways can be extremely complex. While it is apparent that higher, more complex fish such as sharks do feel pain, it has not been commented on lower fish species having more than sensory reflexes. I am not saying that zebrafish do not have nociceptive sensations, I am however pissed off by comments as such:

- I am shocked and awed that a animal rights group has not put an end to this cancer research. How many small innocent fish must suffer in order to save thousands of human lives. In my account, this is one to many.

This idiot probably orders deep fried whitebait without any sense of irony.

- LOL, they had to ENGINEER a fish that is transparent? Haven't these "geniuses" ever heard of the common Glass Fish? They can be bought in ANY Pet Store that sells tropical fish and costs no more then about $3-4.00. There is also a fish called the Glass Catfish, also easily available and costing the same. BTW, at wholesale these fish can be bought for about $.40, that's FORTY CENTS a piece. I can only wonder at the time and money these damn fools wasted to "design" a fish when they could have jumped in their car and had what they needed in 10 minutes.

This idiot has not read the article, and while he may be genetically related to a closer relative of amoebae, the rest of the human population is not.

- They must have found some other way to abuse common sense and waste resources on pointless research, as all scientists do.

Right, is it just me or would you think that finding a cure for cancer through genetic research is actually quite useful? Having worked in a lab I can guarantee that it is a time consuming and tedious process to get a set of data, or even the isolation of a few groups of cells that can contribute to the further understanding and development of drugs that can cure this horrid disease. It also costs a fair amout of money to come up with the equiptment as well as using said equipment as its being directed at such a size that is too small for the eye to see. While lots of money is being pumped into R&D, even more money is going towards the POINTLESS War On Terror. Comments as such should be directed to those university departments which come up with really pointles studies such as: Kids from low income families are more likely to eat fast food; Straight men are more likely to be attracted to Page 3 models rather than Anne Widdecombe; or, Gay men take better care of themselves than straight men.

And this, which I agree with:

- Yes, I want to see more stories like this and less of Britney Spears.

Goes to show the obsession with the mainstream media with failed celebrity that has become front page news, but quickly undone by this comment:

- Wait... is there something going on with Britney Spears?

Which indicates that this person doesn't ever keep up with current affairs.

I am pissed off but at the same time too worked up to be coherent in wanting to slap the world and say, 'WAKE UP AND BE MORE AWARE AND INFORMED!!'

Sorry for the rant. Wait, I'm not sorry for the rant; I refuse to do the English thing of apologising over venting my frustration at idiots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home