SimianExist

28 April, 2008

Back to grey...

... the weather that is.

After a brilliant weekend weatherwise, today has started out grey, not unlike my mood. Partially because I am feeling bloated after the weekend's excesses in food and booze comsumption (food descriptions below), but also because I'll have to take the blasted exam in June anyway because it would only make sense.

The long and short of it is that to defer my entry, I would have to formally withdraw from the June sitting. This also means that I do not get my exam fees transferred, but I will have to pay a discounted rate for Dec. Should I sit this exam and fail, I will have to resit it in Dec, at the same discounted rate, so either way I have to pay, ergo, I will have to sit this exam.

Friday night I went to a churrescaria which I've passed by a few times previously but have never been in. A churrescaria is a Brazillian grill, where they cook meat on skewers and slice portions onto your plate as they pass through. Miss Angola has been there a fair few times and suggested a while ago that we should try it out. Given that the last time I'd been to a good one was when I was in Brazil a few years ago, I was up for a couple of caiprinhas and as much rare grilled beef as I could consume. My favourite cut is the picanha, which is the top rump cut which is often divided up into other cuts at the butchers. Lightly seasoned and grilled, this is the closest to a perfect bit of meat that I could wish for (my favourite is a rare, oak smoked ribeye). I probably ate about half a kilo of picanha, along with some salt and garlic beef, rare grilled lamb, chicken with an accompaniment of various salads. It was really good, and I'll definitely be going back for more next time.

Saturday I had Miss Angola and friend over for lunch. We had a light salad with cherry tomatoes, boiled new potatoes and marinaded artichoke hearts with some fresh sourdough bread from the local market square 5 mins from where I live. (I will be taking photos and posting them at some point very soon, given that I now know where to buy an adaptor cable for my digital camera to the PC). After that, since it was a beautiful day we grabbed a couple of bottles of wine and sat in the sun sipping our drinks and feeling totally relaxed. Later that evening there were a number of events going on, but I decided to take the opportunity of OH being away and totally pampering myself at home. I have a long leisurely bath and listened to some music that Stornisse had sent over. After that I watched a dreadful movie (Perfume) and it was in French rather than the original English version which meant I lost a bit in translation. I also had a large portion of Thai green curry which my friend Therese had cooked up under my supervision on Thursday, and was happily tucked in bed asleep by 11.30pm.

Sunday again was another lazy day. Up and some breakfast: fresh coffee, scrambled eggs and an apple turnover with a mango and lime smoothie. I love fresh coffee, and always make it in an Italian espresso maker. Because its one of those cumbersome contraptions that has various bits that need to be fitted together before its put on the stove, I very rarely bother apart from the occassional times when OH and I sit down to a leisurely breakfast on the weekends. Given that OH's plane in was delayed, I put some music (funnily enough I had a few Lyttleton tracks on...) and read the papers (...then discovered Lyttleton had passed away. RIP) while having a relaxing breakfast. A while later, OH got back and hopped in the shower while I made some tea as a friend who was in the neighbourhood popped in to say hello. We had some cheesecake which I'd baked a few days previously. The day finished off with sweet and sour chicken from a recipe I tried out, and it was delicious with some steamed rice and stir fried vegetables. OH commented that I could have improved the recipe with Sharwoods Sweet and Sour Sauce. I stamped on his foot under the table.

This week is looking pretty mixed. I'm (half) celebrating my birthday on Weds evening but its going to be study all the way until then. The main event of the week is when OH and I are out to celebrate our 3 year Tolerance Period (aka anniversary) on Saturday. I've booked a table at a supposedly fantastic restaurant, and with 8 courses on the deluxe degustation menu, you can be sure to find a post with pictures and drooling descriptions.

Unless it turns out to be a disaster, just like last year.

I promise to post that story soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home